Tips for Emergency Water Damage
As much as we try to prevent it, sadly sometime water damage in our homes or businesses is inevitable. So what do you do if water damage occurs in your space? Here are some tips to help control and contain the damage as much as possible:
1. Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
2. Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas to the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
3. Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
4. Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
5. Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
6. Don't enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
7. Don't use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water; this could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
8. Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Do everything you can to keep you and your loved ones safe, then call SERVPRO of Boone and we will help take care of the rest.